SPOTLIGHT!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

New Music: Rihanna - You Da One

Well, well, well...seems like Rihanna is using again the same pattern as last year.
First release a club banger and then follow up with an RnB slow-jam.

"You Da one" is basically giving me the same thing as "What's my name?" was giving me last year; I hated it first, and came to love it afterwards. I still do to this day.

Actually I'm kinda surprised at how this collaboration between Dr. Luke and Rihanna turned out. It's nothing he's been producing as of now. It's definitely not something he gave Britney or Katy lately, but it's also not redefining pop. He simply provided a nice slice of sunny pop and Rihanna does the rest by giving it a fierce and confidence touch.

It made more or less have the same sound-pattern as "What's my name?" but it completely differs in its content. Later song has a more uplifting and innocent approach as "What's my name?". It's everything but sexual and grown. 

The song is not an instant smash, and isn't really "in ya face" but it is definitely a grower. It's definitely not what I've expected from Rihanna at this point but I gotta give her credit for thinking out of the box and giving us something that us "the public",hough we were used to this kind of music, will have to readjust again. 

Give it a listen:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...